What is a Personal Covering Letter for Schengen Visa?
A personal covering letter for Schengen Visa is a mandatory document you need to attach to your visa application every time you apply for a Schengen visa. Having to write a personal covering letter for your Schengen Visa Application may feel like a daunting task, and many find it hard to begin writing it because they are unsure of what they need to include and how to write it.
At Schengen Visa Flight Reservation we offer authentic and cancellable flight itinerary and hotel reservations for your visa application, in addition to collecting information about the various visa processes and requirements, so that the entire visa application process will be as smooth as possible for our readers and clients.
In this article we will tell you exactly how you can write the best possible personal covering letter for Schengen Visa application.
The personal covering letter for your Schengen Visa Application is a way to explain your purpose for visiting Europe and the Schengen areas to your visa officer, and assure the governing officials that you will only good, touristy things. It also gives a quick break-down of your intended itinerary so that the embassy can see that you have a plan you intend to stick to.
If you DON’T want to make set plans, remember that you can make all of your flight and hotel bookings through Schengen Visa Flight Reservation that are authentic, but also fully cancellable (we will cancel your bookings unless you tell us to proceed with the booking) so that you can make a temporary itinerary that you arefree to change later, after you have obtained your visa. You also can read why our itineraries are best as well as verifiable on airlines websites.
What to Include in Your Covering Letter for Schengen Visa:
Q: First things first; is the covering letter for the Schengen Visa Application necessary?
There is no getting around it, and your visa application will be rejected if you don’t add it.
So, with that little detail sorted out, the next step is to uncover what the covering letter needs to…cover?
To make sure your covering letter is as kick ass as possible, it must contain two important things:
- The purpose of your stay/trip to Europe
- Your planned itinerary, in details
There are different ways to write your covering letter for Schengen Visa. In general we recommend KISS (Keep It Short and Simple). The visa officer is in no way interested in hearing the detailed story about how you met your current German boyfriend that you now want to visit, or the family history of your Dutch roots from 200 years back, that you now want to learn more about. Writing that you are going to visit your boyfriend or girlfriend, or to learn more about said country’s culture, is more than sufficient!
Different Ways to Write Your Covering Letter for Schengen Visa:
Luckily the internet is flooded with covering letter samples, that all have mostly the same layout.
The first paragraph and intro outlines your purpose of the visit, whereas the next part is a bullet point list explaining your detailed itinerary. Below are some samples of covering letters for Schengen visa:
As you can see, the covering letters are straight and to the point, with no unnecessary information. They also include a list of all the attachments you are adding to your visa application, so make sure you do not miss anything here (see our articles on Schengen Visa Requirements for a complete checklist).
Let us know how you go in writing your covering letter for Schengen Visa!
Please check your email to confirm this subscription. Thank you!
Join Our Newsletter
Did you enjoy the above post and want to read more?
JOIN OUR Weekly Newsletter Right Now!
Schengen Visa Application Cover Letter – Samples for Tourist, Medical and Business Visa ApplicationsA Schengen Visa Cover Letter is the letter, which the visa applicant writes for the embassy where the visa application documents will be submitted.
A Schengen visa cover letter contains:
- The purpose of your travel to the Schengen member state or states
- Proof of how you will fund your trip (own funds or sponsor)
- If you have a sponsor – explain your personal relationship with your sponsor and the reason why they will be sponsoring your trip
- An overview of your itinerary, which also explains why you chose to apply at the specific Embassy
- If you cannot submit any of the required documents, write about the reasons why you cannot submit and explain alternative documents that you may have submitted
- Your intent to return to your home country – you can also write a separate letter of intent to explain your rootedness to your home country
It is important to write a cover letter as a way of communication with the embassy officer that will/is going to process your visa application.
Especially, now that a lot of the Embassies use the VFS services to collect documents and deliver the applicant’s passport, you have no chances given to speak to the visa officers and explain your details. As the visa officers make their decisions based on the documents you provide, it is highly recommended to write a cover letter that would do the explaining for you.
Therefore, write a compelling cover letter even though it is not to be found on the list of required documents!
Make sure your cover letter is written according to your travel purpose, such as: Business, Health, Visit, etc.
Cover Letter Sample for a Tourist Visa Application
Find a personal template or sample of a tourist visa cover letter with details below:
April 03, 2017
EMBASSY OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GERMANY
No. 6/50G Shanti Path,
Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110021
Subject: Anjali XXXXXXX, Indian Passport No: XXXXXX, Schengen Visa for Visit Friend/Famliy
I would like to apply for a Schengen visa upon my intention to travel to Germany from June 2 to June 28, 2017.
The main purpose of my travel is to visit my German friends. However, I look very forward to also visit the magnificent sights throughout Germany, as well as experience the famous German food and learn the German culture and way of life. During my stay, me and my friends wish to spend a holiday in the Netherlands and France to celebrate my upcoming graduation.
I am employed at <name of employer> in <address of employer> since April 2014, currently holding the position of Marketing Executive. My employer has already approved my vacation from work for the duration of this trip.
Please, find the following documents to support my visa application:
- Visa application form, duly dated and signed with attached passport-size pictures
- Passport, showing my travel experience
- Travel Insurance, coverage of €30,000
- E-ticket reservation for my flight via LH for New Delhi – Frankfurt – New Delhi [June 2-June 28, 2017]
- Hotel reservations for our holidays in the Netherlands and France
- Employment and leave certificates showing approved leaves as well as the date I am expected to return to work
- ITR, Payslips, and Savings Account as proof of my income
Also, the additional documents required for Medical Purposes Schengen Visa Application:
- Enclosed copies of medical records about your condition
- Bank statements and health insurance coverage to cover for medical expenses in [name of country]
- June 2, 2017 – Flight from New Delhi to Frankfurt via LH-761
- June 7, 2017 – Sightseeing in Germany
- June 10, 2014 – Travel from Frankfurt to Amsterdam Schiphol; Arrive in Amsterdam and stay at Clemens Hotel
- June 11, 2017 – Sightseeing in the Netherlands
- June 14, 2017 – Travel from Amsterdam Schiphol to Paris Gard du Nord and stay at Ibis Hotel – Sacré Coeur
- June 15, 2017 – Sacré Coeur, Opera, Tour Eiffel, Musee du Lourve
- June 17, 2017 – Chateau de Versailles
- June 20, 2017 – Travel from Paris Gard du Nord to Frankfurt via Air France
- June 28, 2017 – Flight back to New Delhi from Frankfurt via Lufthansa
I trust that you will find everything is in order. For any questions or clarifications, please do not hesitate to contact me anytime.
Thanking you in advance for a favorable reply to my application.
<Your Complete Name>
<Your Address>, India
Cover Letter Sample for Medical Visa Application
Please use the following guidelines when you submit a cover letter for medical purposes to the Embassy:
- The diagnosis must be specific
- The recommended treatment must be named and described in detail by a licensed health care provider
- Your provider must state a specific length of treatment. Lifetime or indefinite lengths of treatment will not be approved
Find a personal template or sample of a Schengen visa cover letter with details below:
Name of Referring Hospital
Address and Phone
I am writing on behalf of my patient, (patient name here), to document the medical need of (medication/treatment/equipment in question) for the treatment of (the exact diagnosis). Please, find in this letter the information regarding the patient’s medical diagnosis and history and a summary of my treatment motive.
Patient’s Diagnosis and History:
(Here include the information regarding the patient’s condition and diagnosis as well as the patient’s relatable history)
(Include information on the treatment and the course of care up to this point, and why the medication/treatment/equipment in question) is required and how you expect it will benefit your patient.)
(Length of time the medication/treatment/equipment in question is necessary – possibly not exceeding 12 months)
In summary, the (medication/treatment/equipment in question) is medically necessary for this patient’s medical condition and/or improvement.
Please, do not hesitate to contact me should any additional information be required to ensure the approval of the (medication/treatment/equipment in question).
(Name and signature of physician)
Your licensed provider must complete, date and sign the letter.
Read also: Business Schengen Visa Cover Letter Sample